Where do I find out more information about the Street Food Project?

    You can download the Project Guidelines from the 'Document Library' on the project page of this website. Alternatively, contact the Commercial Permit Officer on (07) 4773 8661 or commercialpermits@townsville.qld.gov.au.

    What is the cost of a Commercial Permit – Street Food/Coffee Provider?

    There are 2 types of permits, 'Events Only' at a cost of $500 and the '365 + Events' permit at a cost of $2000.  The 'Events Only' permit is for operators that choose to participate in events that are held on council controlled space.  The '365 + Events' is designed for operators that have regularly trade on council controlled space and is includes the fee for events.

    I understand it is a Pilot Project, how long will the pilot go for?

    The pilot will run for 12 months with evaluation at regular intervals

    Do I need a food license as well as a Commercial Permit?

    Yes, you will need to apply for a food licence if you are preparing food on site. For more information regarding Environmental Health requirements please refer to Townsville City Council’s Licensing and Legislation page for more information https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/community-support/community-safety/food-safety-and-licensing/licensing-and-legislation or contact a Environmental Health Officer at 13 48 10.

    Can I set up a coffee cart or food truck on the side of the road? - Do I need permission?

    You will need to follow the guidelines. If the area you are interested in operating on is a State controlled road you will need to apply through TMR.

    Can I set up a coffee cart or food truck on The Strand/Flinders Street or Castle Hill?

    We have a small number of Premium Sites on the Strand and on top of Castle Hill, we also have spaces on Flinders Street (time limits apply). The Premium sites incur a booking fee of $30 and are for a 3 hour window. For more information regarding premium sites please refer to the guideline here or contact the Commercial Permit Officer on 47 738 661 or CommercialPermits@townsville.qld.gov.au

    How long does it take to receive an permit?

    If all required documentation is submitted it will take approximately 14 days. We endeavour to finalise permit applications as quickly as possible.

    I am operating on private land, do I need a permit?

    No, but you may require a food licence and planning permission.  Please refer to the Council’s website for further information or contact Townsville City Council on 13 48 10.

    I am hosting an event/having a function on Council controlled space, park or facility and would like to use a food truck/stall. Who do I contact?

    All food truck/stall operators that are operating on council space must have a permit, this is inclusive of private events and functions.  To obtain a list of approved suppliers please contact council on 13 48 10 or commercialpermits@townsville.qld.gov.au

    How do I apply for a Commercial Permit – Street Food/Coffee Provider?

    You can find the application form online at https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/payments-rates-and-permits/forms-and-permits. You can also contact Venues Management and speak with the Commercial Permit Officer who can assist you through this application process and answer any questions you have about Commercial Permits and the Street Food Project. The contact number is (07) 4773 8661. You can also email CommercialPermits@townsville.qld.gov.au